Femoro acetabular impingement (FAI) is an orthopedic hip surgery performed by our best in class orthopedic surgeons of Orthopedic Hip Surgeons of NYC (a division of Glashow Orthopedics). Femoro acetabular impingement (FAI) can be treated using preventive measures to stop the underlying structural abnormalities in the hip joint causing osteoarthritis. Once arthritic changes have already started, the main option for pain relief is hip replacement surgery.
Please note: We accept full out of network insurance befits (we will contact your insurance company and submit for you). You will enjoy the luxury and benefit of academic medicine in a top rated concierge environment without the hassle of long hospital waiting room times and paperwork. Most policies reimburse patients for most of the cost of femoro acetabular impingement (FAI) surgery. Our surgical coordinator will assist you with all paperwork, pre-authorizations, and approvals.FAI surgery consists of correcting the anatomical deformity, cam or pincer, but also of repairing the damage that has occurred to the articular cartilage and to the labrum.
What is femoro acetabular impingement (FAI)
FAI is a hip condition which describes a mechanical mismatch between the ‘ball’ and the ‘socket’ of the hip. There are two described types of impingement:
- ‘Cam’ type impingement describes a ‘bump’ on the surface of the femoral head (ball) which jams on the rim of the (acetabulum) socket. This type typically affects younger athletic men (common).
- ‘Pincer’ type is essentially an overdeep acetabulum (socket) which restricts the movement of the femoral head (ball). This typically affects middle aged women (less common).
- Combined – Patients can have both cam and pincer impingement at the same time.
Treating femoro acetabular impingement (FAI) with surgical intervention:
Whether you will need surgical treatment depends to a large degree on the type of FAI you have, the amount of deformity and the presence of arthritic change. Surgical treatments include:
- Arthroscopy (scope) – Arthroscopy is performed through small incisions in the skin to allow a camera to see the structures within the hip. This procedure address the labrum, the femoral head deformity and/or an abnormally shaped acetabulum.
- Open surgical dislocation – The blood supply to the hip is preserved by the NYC orthopedic surgeon while dislocating the ball from the socket. The procedure allows increased exposure to correct the deformities of the ball or socket.
- Osteochondroplasty – Excess bone on the femoral neck is removed in order to re-establish a round femoral head (ball) and a normally-shaped socket.
- Total hip replacement – Orthopedic Hip Surgeons of NYC are recognized leaders in total hip replacement. Total hip replacement A total hip replacement is a surgical procedure in which the arthritic or damaged joint is removed and replaced with an artificial joint (prosthesis).
In the majority of hips with FAI we find both a cartilage and a labrum lesion. The most common labral tear is a detachment. In many patients, correcting the underlying problem can be performed during the same surgery as one to repair the labrum, cartilage or bone. There are several surgical treatment options that the board certified surgeons of Orthopedic Hip Surgeons of NYC can employ to reduce hip pain symptoms, depending on the source of the pain:
- If the patient has a cam deformity the orthopedic hip surgeon can trim the bone away to make the head smoother and rounder.
- A torn labrum can be treated by trimming away some of the loose edges. In some patients it may have come completely loose and needs to be reattached to the back of the bony rim of the acetabulum.
- Articular cartilage damage can be removed but if there is exposed bone, this may need further repair.
- Exposed bone is treated by making a series of tiny holes in it to stimulate repair of the cartilage, which is known as a micro-fracture technique.
Our best in class NYC orthopedic hip surgeons pride ourselves with providing you highly personalized and comprehensive femoro acetabular impingement (FAI) orthopedic surgery care. Our philosophy of direct orthopedic surgeon to patient care at every visit has made us one of the most trusted and respected practices on the Upper East Side in NYC. Feel free to contact our NYC orthopedic hip surgery practice today, at any time, and start yourself on the road to recovery. The NYC orthopedic hip surgeon offers remote consults anywhere in the world.
Orthopedic Hip Surgeons of NYC specialize in taking exceptional care of each patient from the initial hip pain consultation to the post-recovery period. The honor and privilege of caring for patients comes with the responsibility and dedication of the doctor’s staff with the utmost standard of excellence in patient care and final outcome. As best in class, top rated orthopedic hip surgeons we provide highly personalized and comprehensive care. If you have any questions or would like to schedule a femoro acetabular impingement (FAI) consultation please use the eForm on the right please feel free to phone us to you to get started on the road to recovery:
Orthopedic Hip Surgeons of NYC
737 Park Ave
New York, NY 10021